[webkit-dev] WebKit2GTK+ breakage due to removal of WKPageResourceLoadClient

Mario Sanchez Prada mario.prada at samsung.com
Tue Jan 22 01:57:42 PST 2013

[Replying both Carlos and Sam's mail at once]

Hi,

> El lun, 21-01-2013 a las 17:57 -0800, Sam Weinig escribió:
> > Hi Mario,
> >
> > The motivation of the change was to reduce the chatter between the
> > WebProcess and UIProcess and reduce the amount of knowledge the
> > UIProcess has about the internals of the WebProcess.  We will also be
> > removing the UIProcess' notion of the frame tree, for the same
> reason.

Ok, I understand it better now. Thanks for the clarification.

> Now that you guys can break other ports at any time, would it be
> possible that those changes are announced in advance here so that we
> have some time to prepare for the change? I don't mean all changes that
> might break the build and are easy to fix, but changes like that one
> that break the C API, remove functionality, etc. that require a lot of
> work adapting to them.

I agree with Carlos here. Even though there's a policy in place to drive the development of WebKit2 in an specific way from now on, I would find very interesting and useful that an announcement was made in webkit-dev whenever the breakage is going to be this severe.

I don't mean having to announce it like weeks in advance, I guess 2-3 days before pushing the change might be good enough, to avoid at least situations like this one.

> > Going forward, if you need that kind of detailed knowledge, you
> should
> > use the WebInspector or the protocol it is based on.
>
> The GTK+ API depends on the WebResource API, so WebInspector is not a
> solution, 14 unit test are timing out now that resources don't work at
> all.

Yes, exactly.

> We'll rework it using injected bundle, but I'm afraid the injected
> bundle API could be removed too, are there any plans in that regard or
> can we safely use the injected bundle API?

Good question, although I guess the InjectedBundle has more possibilities to survive since it's what some helper tools like WKTR use anyway, and because it doesn't cause any extra IPC after all.

Thanks,
Mario