[webkit-dev] RGBA8 and BGRA8 formats in WebKit

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Mon Jan 21 13:46:58 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Zoltan Herczeg <zherczeg at webkit.org> wrote:

> In WebKit both RGBA and BGRA formats are used for different purposes and
> different platforms in WebKit. Do we have a policy which one we prefer? It
> would be nice to reduce conversions between them in the future as it seems
> costly on embedded systems.

The Web APIs use RGBA (E.g.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/2dcontext/html5_canvas/#canvas-pixel-arraybuffer
)
Using that internally will prevent conversion at the boundaries
JS<->WebCore.

Internally, each port should be able to use any format. On some embedded
systems, it can be advantageous to use 24 bits colors (or even 16 bits
sometimes).

Where in WebKit do you experience problems with color conversion?

Benjamin