[webkit-dev] Out-of-process networking and potential for sharing memory cache (was Re: Feature Announcement: Moving HTML Parser off the Main Thread)

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Sun Jan 20 13:30:17 PST 2013

>> I take your word for it that it's not possible on Windows.
>
> Given that Chromium has many users on Windows (and other non-Mac
> platforms), you should now understand why this design does not fit
> well with Chromium's design constraints.

But chromium doesn't use webkit or webkit2, so i'm not entirely sure why webkit2 design decisions should consider chromium's (pre-wk2) design decisions.

One thing that I'm unclear on is how having a distinct network process can possibly be less secure than a single thread in _any_ circumstance.  Fundamentally any sandbox model that allows a single thread to be sandboxed, can just sandbox the main appropriate threads in the separate networking process, vice versa is not true however.

--Oliver