[webkit-dev] Changing Github repository to mirror git.webkit.org (was Github vs. git.webkit.org)

Jesus Sanchez-Palencia jesus at webkit.org
Mon Jan 14 05:19:59 PST 2013

Hi,

This email is a heads-up about the repository change we are starting
today in github.

In summary, now the github webkit repository will actually mirror
git.webkit.org and they will finally have the same git hashes. I won't
go into the benefits of this change since this has been widely
discussed in the past.

Since last week me, Tor Arne, William Siegrist, Adam Barth and Lucas
Forschler have been discussing the steps to move on with this and
since no one has raised any issues so far on previous discussions, I
will start this today.

We have decided that the best approach for this is to start a new
repository (webkit-mirror), delete the old one
(https://github.com/WebKit/webkit) and then rename the new repository.

I will be doing the mirroring myself for while, until Apple can set
this up from the same machine that git pushes to git.webkit.org.

People that are using the current github repository will probably have
to re-clone and rebase their branches.

This won't affect git.webkit.org or any other official WebKit repository.

Cheers,
jesus