[webkit-dev] Proposal: Add webkitFillRule to canvas

Rik Cabanier cabanier at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 17:24:03 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> >
> > I think this feature was rushed in the spec.
>
> The specing is usually the first step. You can't rush to spec. :-)
>
> In this particular case, though, it was the third or fourth step. The
> discussion has been open since June 2011. It's not like people didn't have
> time to comment. It's been shipping in a browser for over a year.
>
> Any solution we come up with to the issues that were raised regarding Path
> will almost certainly be done in a way that builds on context.fillRule,
> not in a way that removes context.fillRule.

I was not aware of that discussion.
There are good reasons to make the fill rule part of the fill operation
itself. It does not make sense in the graphic state.

How about EOClip? That is a construct that is far more used than eofill.
Will that get its own parameter too?
How about the interaction of stroking and this parameter (if you follow the
spec's wording for stroking)?
How about ispointinpath? Will that follow the winding rule in the graphic
state?
How about hit regions? How can you specify the winding there?

It's better to follow what almost every other graphics library has done:
Add an EOFill and an EOClip.
I volunteer to add it to Mozilla if it helps.