[webkit-dev] Int/FloatPoint and Int/FloatSize

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Wed Jan 2 23:37:57 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Steve Block <steveblock at chromium.org>wrote:

> - Would people welcome changes to encourage that policy?

FWIW, in Chromium (downstream, non-WebKit) we ended up adding a "vector"
(as in math, not the STL) class recently to address the sort of
"offset/delta between two points" use you're describing, because neither
points nor sizes made for a good fit all the time.  The folks working on
Chromium's compositor might have more feedback, but personally I thought
that was a good move, and it turned out to not be too hard to convert
almost everything at once, simply by removing all the functions
implementing mathematical operations between type pairs we no longer wanted
to support and seeing what broke.

Of course, such a drastic move in WebKit would need to have significant
buy-in ahead of time, and my suspicion is that it wouldn't get it.

PK