[webkit-dev] -khtml- and -apple- CSS prefixes

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Thu Feb 28 18:02:48 PST 2013

I noticed this comment on the Hacker News thread about Paul Irish's
recent blog post:

---8<---
"CSS parsing is the same, though. Slurping up your CSS and turning it
into CSSOM’s pretty standard. Yeah, though Chrome accepts just the
-webkit- prefix whereas Apple and other ports accept legacy prefixes
like -khtml- and -apple-."

Using this information, can you target Chrome with the webkit- prefix
and Safari with the apple- prefix? Specifying the apple- prefix after
webkit- will ensure that Safari uses that one, right?
--->8---

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5302150

If developers start using this technique, it might be harder to remove
these prefixes in the future.  Chromium's experience removing these
prefixes has been quite positive.  We ran into one compatibility
problem on apple.com, which Apple was gracious enough to fix.

I'd recommend that the rest of the ports disable
ENABLE(LEGACY_CSS_VENDOR_PREFIXES) to remove support for the -khtml-
and -apple- CSS prefixes before it's too late.

Adam