[webkit-dev] Version control survey results

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Sun Feb 17 23:49:52 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> >
> > There's probably proportionately more people using Git. Making these web
> surveys is a pain, so I'd rather not do it again if we don't need to.
> >
> > What would be the pros and cons of the master repository being git
> instead of svn, for git users?

As far as I could recall the last discussion, there won't be much benefit
in switching the master over to git unless we adopt git workflow (e.g.
first new links on https://www.google.com/search?q=git+workflow). In
particular, change loges are the biggest obstacle.

We could try to mitigate this divergence by allowing webkit-patch to fill
in change logs automatically from git commit messages when landing patches.
(I'm not volunteering to do this).

This involves commands like "webkit-patch upload" automatically pre
populating git commit messages (without modifying change logs) as they do
change logs today, and then commands like "webkit-patch land" automatically
parsing those git commit messages to populate change logs and commit
--amend them. Commands like "webkit patch apply-from-bug" can then parse
change log changes and convert them to git commit messages in turn.

I'm not sure how change logs should be updated/constructed in branch-merge
workflow.

But that's not really an argument I'm interested in pushing.  I
> believe eventually the remaining SVN users will switch to distributed
> version control of their own will, and we'll eventually decide to stop
> supporting SVN because not enough of the project is using it to
> justify causing the majority of users to use a translated solution.

FWIW, I don't plan to use git or any other distributed VCS in contributing
to WebKit. I like svn's simplicity.

- R. Niwa