[webkit-dev] Testing feature suggestion: animation/interaction pixel-results "on the fly"

noam.rosenthal at nokia.com noam.rosenthal at nokia.com
Wed Feb 13 23:44:30 PST 2013

From: ext Benjamin Poulain <benjamin at webkit.org<mailto:benjamin at webkit.org>>
Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:36 AM
To: Noam Rosenthal <noam.rosenthal at nokia.com<mailto:noam.rosenthal at nokia.com>>
Cc: "luxtella at company100.net<mailto:luxtella at company100.net>" <luxtella at company100.net<mailto:luxtella at company100.net>>, "webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org<mailto:webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org>" <webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org<mailto:webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org>>
Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] Testing feature suggestion: animation/interaction pixel-results "on the fly"

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:27 PM, <noam.rosenthal at nokia.com<mailto:noam.rosenthal at nokia.com>> wrote:
Why wasn't a ref-test a better solution in this particular case?
Because gaussian blurs on the GPU are not accurate, and look slightly different on different GPUs, but usually "close enough".
We need a way to measure "close enough" for features where all you can get is "close enough"! Ref-tests and pixel-tests are way to rigid for that, and require constant rebaselines and headaches.

There is _NO_ gaussian blur in that patch.
DongSung mentioned gaussian blur in the comment, which is what I was referring to.
But other bugs as well, like delegated scrolling, also have that problem of results not being 100% the same every time.