[webkit-dev] Can Qt use some of the common DRT code?

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at digia.com
Wed Feb 13 03:19:58 PST 2013

On Monday, February 11, 2013 10:33:03 AM Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Monday 11 February 2013, Benjamin Poulain wrote:
> > One of the differences is the way the Qt port works. Instead of using the
> > JSC binding APIs, it uses its own JS Qt bindings.
> > Would it be possible for Qt to move to the common code? It would make
> > future refactoring easier as there would be one less difference to care
> > about.
>
> I guess that would be possible, and if you continue to add more testrunner
> methods using continuation passing style, we may need to, since I do not
> think we currently have an easy way to pass a method through the Qt
> bindings.

Yeah, I guess that is a technical argument in favour of switching over.

> That said, Qt has the most convinient interface of all the DRT
> implementations with the bindings automatically derived from the C++
> declarations. I would hate to see that go, and since adding a method to Qt
> DRT is just adding the C++ method and nothing else, it is no worse than
> adding an empty
> implementation to all the ports that are using the common code.

While I agree with you and also appreciate the fact that this implementation
improves our test coverage for the bindings code a lot, the current "weather"
in the project on the other hand "suggests" that we better get out of the way
:(

I'll start working on porting over to the C bindings (bug #109677).

Simon