[webkit-dev] Opera and WebKit

Håkon Wium Lie howcome at opera.com
Wed Feb 13 00:06:22 PST 2013

Dear WebKit community,

Many of us have met through various web standards efforts, such as
W3C and WHAT WG. Today I'd like to introduce Opera Software in a new
forum for us: the webkit-dev mailing list.

We have known WebKit and its KTHML predecessor for some time. Lars
Knoll, who (re)wrote KHTML in 1999, worked for TrollTech for many
years. TrollTech and Opera shared a building in Oslo, a building which
has earned its place in the rendering engine hall of fame.

Some of our best programmers have been working on the WebKit code for
a while, and today we have announced that we will be using the WebKit
engine in the future [1]. We will also submit our code; switching from
Presto to WebKit frees up resources and allows us to contribute to the
WebKit platform.

The first contributions from our side will be in multi-column layout
[2]. We have experimented with combining multicol layout with
page floats and column spans [3]; in 10 lines of CSS code one can
create amazingly beautiful, scaleable and responsive paged
presentations [4].

We hope to work with you to further strengthen the open web that we
all believe in.

   [1] http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2013/02/13/
   [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/
   [3] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#page-floats