[webkit-dev] Is the wxWidgets port maintained?

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Tue Feb 12 09:29:31 PST 2013

On Feb 11, 2013, at 11:44 PM, Eric Seidel wrote:

> This entire email thread makes me sad.
>
> I'm sad because we did this to ourselves (our porting systems/policies
> are lacking), we did this very abruptly (the last port we kicked out
> of webkit.org took a year?), and we don't have any clear policy for
> this sort of thing (adding/removing ports in webkit.org).
>
> I think this, and many recent threads on the subject, are symptoms of
> the same problem:
>
> We are at a point in WebKit (and have been for a long time) where we
> are focused less on the Web Platform (via WebKit) being everywhere,
> and more on that Web Platform being awesome.  Maybe it's time we
> clarified this in our goals doc?  Our (my!) previous
> platform-abstraction mistakes have also left us in an awkward position
> where it is difficult for us to support 7+ ports with separate build
> systems, and separate sets of constraints (however minor) on WebCore.
>
> I think it is the right decision to de-couple all ports from the core
> code, but doing that is going to take us a very long time.
>
> I think that moving closer to one build system will help, but won't
> help those trying to advance WebCore from having to deal with 8
> different port APIs, 5 different networking libraries, 2 different XML
> parser, 4 different GraphicsContext implementations, and countless
> other configuration options!

As a port maintainer, I totally agree. I've been talking about how I switched to waf for the benefits it offered the wx port, but it is also true that part of my reason for going that route was to see if I could find a way to get out of the business of needing others to update my port's build system and code. It's a very gracious policy, but I don't like the feeling that just by being in trunk, I'm putting a fair amount of the burden on others to update my build system, etc. for me. The build system choice was my decision, and accordingly, it should also be my responsibility to maintain.

> I guess the point of this all is that I'm sorry.  I'm sorry to Kevin,
> and all the other ports that I've helped integrate with WebKit, that I
> and others didn't sit down years ago and design better, more
> maintainable porting systems for WebKit.

As someone whose worked on cross-platform software for over a decade now, I can say that WebKit has, by and large, done a very good job of managing the complexity inherent in supporting multiple ports. You do it far better than wx does in some respects, to be honest. It is not perfect, but no one can get everything right from day one, and overall you did get a lot of important things right.

The problems the project faces right now are largely a result of its successes, and those are the sorts of problems that aren't so bad to have. :)

> I think if we as a community are actively interested in maintaining as
> many ports as we have (and welcoming new ones) we need to come up with
> better ways to do so.  And clearer policies for what it means to be a
> port in WebKit.
>

> In the specific case of Wx, I am reluctantly agreed that code with
> only one(?) maintainer is pretty close to "dead" and thus per WebKit's
> long-standing dead/commented-out code policies should be removed. :(
> Kevin has been with us a long time, and asking him to "leave" in this
> manner is saddening.

I actually do agree with most of the points raised, and agree wx being removed is probably the most sensible approach. I think, as you said, it was more the manner in which things were done that was disheartening.

> Of course saying Wx is "dead code", begs the question as to what is
> needed for a port to be considered "live" in WebKit.org?  With our
> current porting architecture, I would argue that at least 3 full time
> people are probably needed, and that this should be considered before
> accepting new ports.

Yes, I think the rules can probably change these days. Back in the days when there was only SVN, not being on trunk was a very painful experience because branch merging on such a large tree was so problematic, so it really was necessary for the threshold for inclusion to be lower. Today though, with git, it is a lot more feasible for ports to be a layer 'above' the core code. If I were starting the project today, that is probably how I would do it.

> I'm not in any rush to see Wx removed, and I agree it makes sense to
> let Kevin write the patches as much as he's willing.  I think
> certainly having to wake up one day to see that one of your Open
> Source projects is "kicking you out," is pretty jaring. :(  I hope we
> can do this better next time, and maybe we should have a separate
> discussion about what it means to be a "supported port" in WebKit.org
> and what new/existing ports need to do to meet that bar.
>

> As for the future of WebKit on Wx:  I don't know enough about WebKit2
> to know if it has a more easily portable/maintainable architecture.
> For the port I work on (chromium), others haven't really "ported" in
> WebKit.org, but rather port at a higher level -- Chromium's Content
> layer or https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/.  Maybe one of
> those options are a better solution for a port like Wx with limited
> resources?

Yes, in fact, that's an idea that has been stewing in my head a while now. It's mostly an issue of wxWebKit already being used in and working fine for a few projects, so there isn't a pressing need to deal with this issue right now, but I suspect when I need to start a new project, that will probably be the route I take. Part of the hesitation, though, is that I honestly find this project a lot of fun to hack on. :) By and large, I really do find this a great project and community to be a part of.

> Again, my apologies to you Kevin for my part in all this.

You mean for helping me start this port in the first place, which was a godsend to me in the work I was and am doing, and has led to me learning a great deal over the years? Or, do you mean for getting the ball rolling that today leads me to have the other cross-platform WebKit options you mentioned, like Chromium and Qt, to choose from if I wanted to switch? Well... okay then, apology accepted. :)

I've got some other comments to make, but I've got some stuff I need to get out the door, so there will probably be emails trickling out over the next couple days or so. I just felt compelled to respond to this message first, as I think in every instance you, and many others in the community, have really only tried to be helpful, and that is deeply appreciated. Please don't beat yourself up over that!

Thanks,

Kevin