[webkit-dev] Is the wxWidgets port maintained?

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Mon Feb 11 17:20:18 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Kevin Ollivier <kevino at theolliviers.com>wrote:
>
>> I know you're speaking more in general here, but just to be clear, over
>> the past 6 months, the data hit that WebKit engineers have taken on account
>> of the wx port is close to 0 bytes. The only time svn up or git fetch has
>> pulled anything related to wx is when other developers attempted to update
>> the wx port based on changes made to common code. As things stand, I'd not
>> only be okay with, but actually prefer, that no other port maintainers do
>> anything to try and fix the wx build. This way the port is not causing
>> anyone else a burden except occasionally when I do land some fixes. As I
>> said in my reply to Brent, I think a "no build bot / no shared maintenance"
>> project rule is not only reasonable, as a practical matter it is required.
>>

> I'd argue that others contributors having to know to ignore Wx port's code
> is the most significant cost. How is a new contributor supposed to know to
> ignore Wx port code?

It looks like everyone agree wx would be better maintained outside
webkit.org.

Kevin just need to find a technical solution to the problem of maintaining
the history.

I will make a patch removing wxWidgets from the tree.
Kevin, can you communicate when you are ready for the transition? I'd like
to do that this week if that is okay with you.

Benjamin