[webkit-dev] Merging the iOS port to svn.webkit.org (Re: WebCore and interlocking threads)

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Sat Feb 9 15:48:09 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> There are certainly pros and cons to merging. It would be great get input
> from the broader WebKit community on the tradeoff of merging sooner vs
> avoidance of weird legacy code in the main tree. In the meantime, we'll
> stick to merging things that are not overly controversial as much as we can.

For what my opinion is worth (probably near zero for a lot of you), I would
like to see you guys merge sooner rather than later, even if it leads to
awkwardness that needs cleanup.  Over the years there has been a nonzero
amount of friction due to the iOS port not being upstreamed, and I think it
would be beneficial to WebKit as a whole to fix that sooner rather than
later.  And it seems more likely to me that "upstream first, then decide
how to re-architect as needed" is going to result in high-quality
discussions and designs, as opposed to "figure out in private how to
re-architect before upstreaming", which runs the risk of just never
bothering to upstream at all.

There is real compromise, and perhaps humility, needed from all sides to
make such a task successful.  I am reminded of Eric's recent email where he
pleaded for more of an explicit effort to civility towards each other.
 Perhaps this is an opportunity for us to practice that effort.

PK