[webkit-dev] Merging the iOS port to svn.webkit.org (Re: WebCore and interlocking threads)

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Sat Feb 9 15:48:09 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> There are certainly pros and cons to merging. It would be great get input
> from the broader WebKit community on the tradeoff of merging sooner vs
> avoidance of weird legacy code in the main tree. In the meantime, we'll
> stick to merging things that are not overly controversial as much as we can.

For what my opinion is worth (probably near zero for a lot of you), I would
like to see you guys merge sooner rather than later, even if it leads to
awkwardness that needs cleanup.  Over the years there has been a nonzero
amount of friction due to the iOS port not being upstreamed, and I think it
would be beneficial to WebKit as a whole to fix that sooner rather than
later.  And it seems more likely to me that "upstream first, then decide
how to re-architect as needed" is going to result in high-quality
discussions and designs, as opposed to "figure out in private how to
re-architect before upstreaming", which runs the risk of just never
bothering to upstream at all.

There is real compromise, and perhaps humility, needed from all sides to
make such a task successful.  I am reminded of Eric's recent email where he
pleaded for more of an explicit effort to civility towards each other.
 Perhaps this is an opportunity for us to practice that effort.