[webkit-dev] Merging the iOS port to svn.webkit.org (Re: WebCore and interlocking threads)

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Feb 8 16:56:43 PST 2013

On Feb 8, 2013, at 4:14 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM, David Kilzer <ddkilzer at webkit.org> wrote:

>>> How do these multiple interlocked threads interact with code that uses
>>> thread-local storage?
>>
>> The UI (main) thread and the web thread share the same thread-local storage.  Those code changes are in 4 or 5 files in WTF.
>
> How does that work for code called by WebCore that doesn't use WTF's
> TLS abstractions?

Hi Adam,

To clarify the overall iOS WebKit threading model:

- Essentially all Web content processing happens on the "Web thread" instead of the main thread. This is approximately isomorphic to how Chromium puts Web content processing in a separate render process, or how WebKit2 puts web content processing into a Web Process.

- Because this work was originally done in a hastier way and with less clear design, it does not do as good a job as Chromium or WebKit2 at sticking strictly to message passing. There are a tiny handful of pieces of WebCore code that get touched directly by the WebKit layer on the main thread. But this is the exception.

We don't have a model where web content processing is broadly spread across multiple thread. We just have a few regrettable (but tricky to fix) exceptions to a message-passing model that processes Web content on a background thread.

I hope this context helps you understand people's answers, and why we believe there is very little impact on WebCore from this change.

Regards,
Maciej