[webkit-dev] SerializedScriptValue: signed vs unsigned char

Alec Flett alecflett at chromium.org
Mon Feb 4 15:51:45 PST 2013

At the moment, SerializedScriptValue uses Vector<uint8_t> (aka
Vector<unsigned char>) for both it's API (createFromWireBytes, toWireBytes)
as well as its internal representation. (for both v8 and jsc
implementations)

The two largest consumers of this aspect of SerializedScriptValue seems to
be IndexedDB and postMessage().

I'm jumping through some small hoops (i.e. reinterpret_cast and whatnot) in
IndexedDB to convert between Vector<uint8_t> and Vector<char> and a 'const
char*' buffer in order to write out to LevelDB, who likes 'char' as opposed
to unsigned char.

postMessage() seems to be pretty agnostic to char vs unsigned char, since
it uses SerializedScriptValue to both produce and consume the buffers it
sends between windows.

Before I did a code cleanup and just fixed up all the implementations to
use Vector<char> I wanted to see if anyone had any objections here, on both
the V8 and the JSC sides. The ultimate compiled code is going to be
identical, but I'll be able to avoid all sorts of reinterpret_cast's at
various points in the code.

objections?

Alec