[webkit-dev] [blink-dev] Selection & CSS Regions

Yoshifumi Inoue yosin at chromium.org
Wed Dec 18 17:17:28 PST 2013

I would like to take Render Tree based approach, but I don't want to make
Render Object to have state of selection. Actually, Render object have
selected state for rendering but these states should be implementation
detail of rendering and not expose to editing module.

Selection for Shadow DOM tree is similar to CSS Region. Shadow DOM tree
also randomizes rendering order against (shadow/non-shadow) DOM tree order.

Using render tree information for selection also allows us to handle
position:absolute elements, e.g. advertised elements displayed displayed at
page bottom.

We have a plan to make TextIterator to traverse Render Tree rather than DOM
tree for ease and robust support of Shadow DOM tree.

Thanks.
-yosi