[webkit-dev] [JavaScriptCore] When to JSValueProtect?

Alexei Sholik alcosholik at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 11:15:26 PST 2013

Hi Geoffrey,

> Therefore, if I'm not immediately returning the created object, it might
> get cleaned up prematurely.
>

> Because the GC scans the stack, and the value you just created is on the
> stack, it won’t be garbage collected right away.

What about the case when the creation of an object originates from C++
land? For example, if I tap on a view and it needs to invoke a JS callback.
I'm creating an object to pass to JSEvaluateScript or as an argument to
JSObjectCallAsFunction.

At this point, the code is not inside the JS stack, so is it possible for
an object to be collected between the calls to JSObjectMake and
JSObjectCallAsFunction?

Thanks!

--
Best regards