[webkit-dev] Proposed feature: Network Service Discovery

Brendan Long self at brendanlong.com
Fri Aug 30 09:23:32 PDT 2013

On 08/29/2013 09:37 PM, Sam Weinig wrote:
> I don't think this belongs in WebKit, as this doesn't seem like it
> would ever be appropriate to expose to the Web at large.  I recommend
> trying to find a way to layer this on top of WebKit if it is something
> you need to support.
While our use-case is definitely possible to implement outside of
WebKit, I think the spec is useful for some kinds of applications. Right
now, that's mainly media-related websites, which could benefit from
access to local music and videos.

Even if this API was only available to privileged apps (locally
installed apps, from the app store for example), it would be a benefit
to app developers, because they wouldn't need to use platform-specific
API's.