[webkit-dev] Proposal: Add support for Promises

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Sun Aug 25 13:47:28 PDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:
>> The blink people are running into a bunch of issues by implementing them on the C++ side as opposed to inside the VM.
>
> I don’t think we can reason by analogy here.
>
> Is there a specific problem you’re concerned about?

The tension in Blink is between making it easy to subclass Promise in
WebIDL versus making it easy for the garbage collector to trace object
graphs that includes Promises.  These considerations are different in
WebKit because the integration between WebCore and JavaScriptCore
works differently than the integration between Blink and V8.

I'm happy to explain these issues in more detail if you would find
that helpful, but I agree with ggaren that there's probably not much
to learn from the Blink implementation because the design pressures
are different than in WebKit.

Adam