[webkit-dev] ChangeLog format

Carlos Garcia Campos carlosgc at webkit.org
Wed Aug 21 22:50:39 PDT 2013

El mié, 21-08-2013 a las 14:04 -0700, Ryosuke Niwa escribió:
> Hi,

[...]
> Separately, I'd like to know whether people liked the new format and
> it's worth my time making webkitpy adopt the new format.

I prefer the old format.

> I personally didn't like the old format because it made the first line
> of each change log too long.  I'm also not a big fun of wrapping URLs
> in angle brackets.  It's also unclear to me what should happen when
> there are multiple Bugzilla URLs to list.
>

> But I hear the new format made git log --oneline much more readable so
> I can be convinced although I don't intend to use git for WebKit
> development in the foreseeable future myself.

Well, git log is not actually affected by the ChangeLog format, but by
the commit message. I mean, we generate the commit message from the
ChangeLog, so we can keep the old format in the ChangeLog and update the
script to generate the commit message to make it better for oneline git
log format. webkitpy parses the ChangeLog not the commit message, so
everything should work.

> - R. Niwa

Carlos Garcia Campos
http://pgp.rediris.es:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF3D322D0EC4582C3