[webkit-dev] Are Qt and GTK+ intentionally returning false in shouldShowPlaceholderWhenFocused?

Kangil Han kangil.han at samsung.com
Tue Aug 20 23:35:45 PDT 2013

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: webkit-dev-bounces at lists.webkit.org [mailto:webkit-dev-bounces at lists.webkit.org] On Behalf Of Carlos Garcia Campos
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:08 PM
To: Martin Robinson
Cc: WebKit Development
Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] Are Qt and GTK+ intentionally returning false in shouldShowPlaceholderWhenFocused?

El mar, 20-08-2013 a las 10:41 -0700, Martin Robinson escribió:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> > Are Qt and GTK+ (and other) ports intentionally returning false in
> > shouldShowPlaceholderWhenFocused?  Or is this just an oversight due
> > to the fact the default implementation returned false?
>
> I just confirmed that the native GTK+ behavior is for placeholder text
> to disappear when a text entry is focused. I believe for GTK+ this
> method should return false.

I think that removing the placeholder text when starting typing instead of when the entry is focused is indeed a good idea. I implemented the placeholder text in GTK+ following the WebKit approach, so maybe we can change it in both places.

> --Martin

Carlos Garcia Campos
http://pgp.rediris.es:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF3D322D0EC4582C3