[webkit-dev] Compiling WebKit with a non-standard compiler

Dan Palmer dan.palmer at me.com
Sat Aug 17 11:32:50 PDT 2013

Hi,

I sent this to the webkit-help mailing list, which sounded better suited
to it, a few days ago, but haven't had any response from there, I hope
someone here can help.

I'm trying to compile WebKit on OS X 10.8 with ASAN support.
Unfortunately the version of clang that ships with Xcode 4.6.3 doesn't
seem to support this, so I have compiled a copy of clang from up-to-date
source which would support ASAN.

I need to both use this compiler, and also pass an option in the process
of building/linking all code "-fsanitize=address". I've been looking
through the build scripts and configurations to see how it would be
possible to do this, but the few things I've managed to try haven't worked.

I have tried:
 - exporting CC and CXX to be my build of clang.
 - copying my build of clang and it's associated binaries over those
provided by Xcode
 - specifying CFLAGS with -fsanitize=address.

None of these have worked. The first two cause issues that look like
they are from xcodebuild as there are Objective-C runtime-like
statements/logs printed out. The third thing just didn't pass the argument.

I am having a lot of difficulty getting this to work and would
appreciate some advice from anyone who knows a bit more about the build
process or has done this before.

Thanks for the help.

Dan Palmer