[webkit-dev] Proposal: Remove Microdata support

Sam Weinig weinig at apple.com
Mon Aug 5 13:16:30 PDT 2013

Hello,

I’d like to propose removing support for the Microdata JS API (http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/microdata.html) from WebKit.  The specification has not gotten much adoption from either implementors or from site authors.  Additionally, its use cases can all be addressed in author scripts, and if we see it becoming popular we can always bring it back.

The Mac port has never enabled the feature, and Blink has recently ripped out their support.

Thoughts?

-Sam

(I have done the work to rip it out, but it is not up for review yet - https://webkit.org/b/119480)