[webkit-dev] Upcoming changes to WebKit's logging functionality

Martin Robinson mrobinson at webkit.org
Sat Aug 3 01:17:40 PDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Mark Rowe <mrowe at apple.com> wrote:
> For developers of other ports, the syntax used to enable logging channels
> may change for you. Some ports had been using a space-separated list of
> channel names rather than a comma-separated list. Please let me know if you
> feel that this change will cause you pain. I've made a best-effort attempt
> to keep other ports compiling, but since my brain only supports a subset of
> C++11 it's likely that I've introduced some build breakages. The EWS appears
> to build with logging disabled so I've not been able to use it for testing
> this change. I'd appreciate it if maintainers of other ports could take a
> few minutes to check whether the most recent patch attached to
> <https://webkit.org/b/119031> builds on their platform and let me know if it
> works or what needs to be fixed.

This is great, because there was a lot of duplicated code for parsing
the channel list. For GTK+, I think that changing the log syntax is
fine. It's not really part of our API and it's been underdocumented
and underused. I think that advertising this change to our downstream
users is enough for us.

--Martin