[webkit-dev] What do we do with various Web component features?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Apr 30 00:11:25 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn at chromium.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Anders Carlsson <andersca at apple.com>wrote:

>> +1
>>
>> From what I’ve heard, the Shadow DOM changes have negatively impacted the
>> packability of the DOM code which is unfortunate. I’m all for removing it.
>>

> Could you elaborate on what you mean by the "packability of the DOM code"?

I think he meant hackability of the DOM code, to which I totally agree.  A
lot of invasive changes to the core DOM code has added new layers of
abstractions and has been preventing us from implementing more aggressive
performance optimizations.

Every problem in computer science can be solved by introducing yet another
layer of abstraction until the number of abstractions itself becomes a
problem.

- R. Niwa