[webkit-dev] Parallel JavaScript: Why a separate ParallelArray types

Joe Mason jmason at blackberry.com
Mon Apr 15 21:11:44 PDT 2013

Indeed, my assumption was always that languages with special-purpose concurrency constructs were not popular for the same reason all special-purpose languages are not popular compared to C++: they're not C++. It's hard to get over the hump of competing with C++, and a new concurrency paradigm isn't enough to do it even if that paradigm is better than shared memory+mutexes. The lack of success isn't evidence that the concurrency construct is worthless, just that lacks whatever spark (which is often marketing and not technical superiority) that causes some languages to succeed and others to fail.

Joe