[webkit-dev] Parallel JavaScript: Why a separate ParallelArray types

Antti Koivisto koivisto at iki.fi
Sat Apr 13 03:17:20 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Filip Pizlo <fpizlo at apple.com> wrote:

> Also, you could do a libdispatch style, where there is no "lock" per se
> but instead you just have queues that you put tasks on.  I like that, too.
>  It's also formally equivalent to both locks and message queues, but much
> more similar to threads and locks in practice.

I always thought libdispatch style concurrency would be a great fit for the
web. It is slightly higher level and probably easier to use than locks and
threads, without being particularly limiting. You also get thread
management and platform event integration (timers etc) in the same package.
The programming style (with blocks C extension) even looks like Javascript
style.

   antti