[webkit-dev] Is there a plan for supporting multi-process and WebCL in webkit

Filip Pizlo fpizlo at apple.com
Wed Apr 10 13:33:38 PDT 2013

On Apr 10, 2013, at 1:03 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org> wrote:

> Right, you need some way to ensure that the functions applied to the array are "pure", the array doesn't mutate, etc. I thought perhaps your ParallelArray() type would be ensuring this (e.g., by enforcing type checking and freezing the array), but maybe I misunderstood you?

Ah - this is the key thing.  ParallelArray requires the runtime and compiler to:

- Ensure that the closure passed to it is pure enough to parallelize (formally, no loop-carried side-effects).  If you already have the compiler do this analysis then we might as well do it for any call to forEach().

- You're right that in one of the versions of the ParallelArray proposal, they make ParallelArray immutable.  But this doesn't help much.  We already infer that things are immutable in JS engines.  If immutability helped, then we could just infer it automatically.  It would just be another kind of array inference.  All of the major JS inference already do array inference, and purity/immutability is a particularly simple property to infer.  But I don't actually think you really need to prove that the array doesn't *ever* change - proving that the closure doesn't change the array in bad ways is all that is necessary, and that is even easier to detect since it's a property of the closure (or more broadly, the loop body) and not the array itself.

-F