[webkit-dev] Is there a plan for supporting multi-process and WebCL in webkit

Jarred Nicholls jarred at webkit.org
Wed Apr 10 09:44:37 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Antonio Gomes <tonikitoo at webkit.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Thibault Imbert <timbert at adobe.com>wrote:
>

>> Yes, leveraging multicore and the power of GPUs for general computations
>> is great and very powerful but first, securing such kernels is hard, and
>> authoring these would be pretty brutal to most web developers, I think this
>> is what Benjamin was referring to.
>>
>> With WebCL, you are basically writing C style kernels that you load and
>> run to drive the computations, initiatives like RiverTrail are more
>> restrictive but way more approachable and closer to the web, exposing
>> higher level primitives on top of WebCL (ParallelArray for example) and
>> integrated at the language level, which makes a lot of sense.
>>

> Security is a primary goal of WebCL, and both WebCL and OpenCL working
> groups are working together to ensure a safe parallel programming
> environment to the Web, as you can see in [1]. If you have specific
> concerns, please raise it in the Khronos working group mailing list ([2])
> or file a bug ([3]) against the draft spec.

Particularly in terms of security, WebCL is to OpenCL as WebGL is to
OpenGL.  Introducing "OpenGL" (i.e. WebGL) to the web had similar security
concerns, and yet...

With that said, I totally agree that using intrinsic idioms and heuristics
that is more "webby" would be nice.  But at some point there will be use
cases that do not translate and will require explicit developer control in
one form (WebCL) or another (new ECMAScript idioms).  Detecting and
optimizing all variations of homogenous parallelable operations seamlessly
inside the JS engine is hard, to put it mildly.