[webkit-dev] Unmaintained feature list

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Apr 8 15:28:57 PDT 2013

On Apr 7, 2013, at 6:35 PM, Benjamin Poulain <benjamin at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Dirk Schulze <krit at webkit.org> wrote:
> The recent request from Andreas to remove CSS Variables leads to the question if there are more features that are not maintained at the moment.
>
> I think it would be honest and transparent if we collect all features that are not maintained at the moment in a Wiki page. This would give us the chance to review each feature individually and we would still have the overview over all features in question. It also makes it a lot easier to plan with the available resources IMO.
>
> Sounds like a great idea: http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/UnmaintainedFeatureList

This is awesome. In addition to features and ports enabling them, it might be useful to include an estimate of maintenance burden. In cases where organizations are comfortable saying so, it might also be useful to express short-term future interest in enabling the feature if they don't have it on already.

 As we collect this information, I can imagine a few possible dispositions for each feature:

- Make an effort to identify new maintainers quickly (e.g. for features that are widely relied upon)
- Remove the feature (e.g. for features that no one has enabled, that no one wants to enable soon, and that no one is willing to maintain)
- Keep the feature around for a while in hopes someone steps up

Other possible items to add (not sure of port status in all cases):
- HTML Parser (or have enough people touched it that we're ok at least for bugfixing?)
- Subpixel layout
- Modules/mediasource (I believe this is MSE)
- Modules/mediastream (I believe this is WebRTC)

Regards,
Maciej