[webkit-dev] Fwd: Feature removal: CSS variables

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Sun Apr 7 19:30:22 PDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 05:40:33PM -0700, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > As well as being in Chrome, custom property support is also being
> > developed by Mozilla[4]. It is an actively edited W3C spec that is expected
> > to reach Last Call status soon[5]. Given that situation, removing it from
> > WebKit seems a very negative step. If it is removed and remains
> > unimplemented in Safari and other WebKit browsers, then they will continue
> > to fall behind competing layout engines. If it is removed now and must be
> > resurrected at a later date, then the total cost is likely to be greater
> > than making the effort to turn it on and take ownership of it *now*.
> >

> I definitely see a value in keeping the feature.  However, there is a
> practical problem of someone having to maintain the code.  Now that all
> contributors who have previously worked on this feature has left to work on
> Blink, I don't see who can be maintaining this code in WebKit.  Are you
> volunteering to maintain the code?  If not, then who is?
>
> Not having this feature will be unfortunate and we might need to add it
> back in the future, but that's much better than leaving unmaintained code
> in our codebase.
>
> - R. Niwa

Hi Niwa,
I am willing to consider if it is practical for me to volunteer to maintain CSS
variables for the webkit project. I'll need a week to make an informed decision,
because I already have a full plate. But I am very interested in webkit, and this
seems like a good time to step up to help the team. CSS variables does appear to
be a worthy feature to maintain. If the team is willing to let this sit for a week,
then that'll give me time to consider the issue properly.

enjoy,
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer