[webkit-dev] Feature removal: CSS variables

Andreas Kling akling at apple.com
Sun Apr 7 14:53:59 PDT 2013

On Sun 2013-04-07, at 9:19 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Andreas Kling <akling at apple.com> wrote:
> I'd like to remove the CSS variable feature from the tree now that Chromium has left, as they were the only ones shipping it AFAIK.
>
> If we were to keep the feature, my only concern will be that someone needs to maintain this code.

Right. As the current implementation is quite widespread in WebCore, it's likely to bitrot quickly unless we have ports using it.

This is not about variables being a bad feature, it's about removing unmaintained code. We can easily restore the code and continue/complete the implementation later, if/when the functionality is wanted.

-Andreas