[webkit-dev] Cleaning House

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Apr 5 10:58:56 PDT 2013

On Apr 5, 2013, at 5:25 AM, Mario Sanchez Prada <mario.prada at samsung.com> wrote:

> Also, my mail was not really a formal request to keep the V8 bits around in
> the long term, but just a quick reply to the following comment from Maciej:
>
>  """
>  Geoff posted the list in part because we'd like to know
>  If any of the things above are used by other ports.
>  We're not planning to remove things still in use.
>  """
>
> So, my position with regard to this is pretty much the same as Per's one, so
> I'll just quote him too: "I'm not asking you to support an alternative
> JavaScript engine where it complicates the code.  Just please keep in mind
> there are people who use WebKit *without* JSC."

By in-use I meant by in-tree ports. I don't think it makes sense to keep functionality in trunk that is only used by out-of-tree ports, if it is costly to do so. The maintainers of the separate tree can make the effort to support extra functionality in their own branch. After all, if you have a private tree, you can make whatever changes you want in your own repository. It's not entirely fair to ask upstream to do that maintenance work for you.

Regards,
Maciej