[webkit-dev] Sunsetting committership and reviewership

Dirk Schulze dschulze at adobe.com
Thu Apr 4 23:56:56 PDT 2013

On Apr 4, 2013, at 11:19 PM, "Ryosuke Niwa" <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is somewhat related to the bulk move of Chromium-WebKit contributors to Blink, but we might want to consider sunsetting/expiring committership and reviewership.
>
> I'm thinking of something like expiring committership/reviwership of a person after the person didn't have any SVN activities for 3 or 6 months.
>
> Any thoughts or opinions?

This seems reactionary. We never had an activity counter before. Actually, I know WebKit reviewers who stopped working on the project for 2 years and restarted the activity later. Even with a fast growing community and an always changing code base, the expertise was still good enough to continue where stopped right away. On the controversy, it may leave people at the Blink project who want to switch back to WebKit later and even more harm is done to the WebKit project.

I object to such a proposal.

Greetings
Dirk