[webkit-dev] Deleting V8 bindings (was Cleaning House)

Per Bothner per.bothner at oracle.com
Thu Apr 4 23:15:32 PDT 2013

On 04/04/2013 09:14 PM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> On the other hand, I don't think optimizing WebCore for JSC doesn't
> necessarily mean it'll become impossible for you to have a custom build
> of WebKit that uses some other binding code.  For example, Mac has
> Objective-C bindings and that's not going anywhere in the foreseeable
> future.

True, but Objective-C bindings are *in addition* to JSC.
Our use of Nashorn *replaces* JSC.

Still, we can certainly have local changes in the code-base,
like we currently do.  My worry is about the places the code
hard-wires in an assumption on JSC - if those proliferate
it will complicate us keeping updated with WebKit.

I can see the logic for simplifying, and I'm not asking you
to support an alternative JavaScript engine where it
complicates the code.  Just please keep in mind there are people
who use WebKit *without* JSC.
--
	--Per Bothner
per.bothner at oracle.com   per at bothner.com   http://per.bothner.com/