[webkit-dev] RenderLayer::isStackingContext() confusion

Elliott Sprehn esprehn at chromium.org
Wed Apr 3 13:18:21 PDT 2013

The function does what it says, it's just not obvious why:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/codesearch#chromium/src/third_party/WebKit/Source/WebCore/css/StyleResolver.cpp&sq=package:chromium&type=cs&q=adjustRenderStyle&l=1469

First we set the z-index to be auto for static position elements. Next we
set the z-index to be 0 for elements based on the big set of cases in
adjustRenderStyle, and then you can tell in RenderLayer if you're a
stacking context based on if you have z-index != auto.

I'd add a comment explaining. The alternative is to check that big set of
cases every time someone calls isStackingContext but that might be slower.
Changing the name of the method would make the code more confusing, since
it is checking the right thing just through some complicated process.