[webkit-dev] Removing the prefix from webkitPostMessage

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Wed Sep 12 22:36:15 PDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> - Is this approach substantially less time and effort than adding a
> histogram-style metric? I expect you have added a histogram to Chrome at
> some point, and so can comment  on the relative difficulty and time to
> produce an answer.
>   (BTW we have the capability to do this type of thing in Safari as well,
> and it is what I ask Apple engineers to do when they want to remove a
> feature, even a purely Mac-specific one.)

FWIW, histograms can only tell you a percentile. We never report back URLs
due to privacy concerns. So, it's somewhat underpowered compared to
experimentally removing a feature and seeing what sites break. I'm not
saying that's not a useful signal, just clarifying what data is possible
for Chromium to gather in the wild.