[webkit-dev] String::operator+= considered harmful

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Tue Sep 4 17:52:12 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> Removing operator+= will likely require changes to a number of
> port-specific files.  I'll do my best to remove these, but I might
> need some help from maintainers of individual ports.  If you're
> interested in helping out, please let me know.

You did an amazing work cleaning WebKit. I'll help on you finish on the Mac
port. I will look at that today.

> If operator+= cannot be made sufficiently efficient, we could always
leave the operator there, but have it ASSERT with a message saying to use
StringBuilder.

That's a nice idea with a compile-time failure. It would be a new
error-based documentation system :)

Benjamin