[webkit-dev] On returning mutable pointers from const methods

Stephen Chenney schenney at chromium.org
Thu Oct 25 05:04:55 PDT 2012

I second the principle. I ran into this kind of code pattern recently in
fonts and was unnerved by the thought of a mutable pointer emerging from a
const method.

I am not at all certain that we can simply make the change without some
heavy refactoring. On the one hand, there are some long const-ness chains
in some places that removing const from a method will break. On the other
hand, making the returned pointer const in some places will force
additional const-ness or require changes to code that uses the pointer.

Do we try to apply the new style to new code only?

Stephen.