[webkit-dev] delaying paint event

Richard Taylor taylorr at redwood.snu.ac.kr
Thu Oct 4 19:34:45 PDT 2012

Hello,

I am working on modifying webkit to delay paint events until all page
content has been downloaded from the web. Once achieved I would like to test
on a mobile device and apply a DVFS algorithm to run the CPU at a low
frequency during the download phase and a "normal" frequency at rendering
"painting". From previous research I believe that the parsing of the HTML
content and DOM tree construction uses little CPU power so I think the low
frequency shouldn't effect the performance too much.

Specifically as I would like to test this on an Android device I have been
looking into the Android source version of WebKit. Within this I have
noticed the code WebViewCore.removeMessages(WebView.EventHub.WebKit_Draw)
that blocks pending draw events from occurring, I was wondering whether I
could use this to block the paint events before the page has finished its

Thanks,
Richard