[webkit-dev] Remove support for -webkit-auto as a specifiable value for CSS text-align property?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Oct 2 09:49:23 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Glenn Adams <glenn at skynav.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> We can't. There are web contents that depend on this value. Also,
>> -webkit-auto behaves slightly differently from start (it may well as be a
>> bug).
>>

> I wonder if it is possible to quantify this potential dependency. Features
> in WK have been deprecated and removed before, so this would not be a
> precedent. Certainly this usage is not a matter for Web interoperability,
> e.g., see http://www.browsersupport.net/CSS/text-align%3A-webkit-auto.
>
> Is WK destined to support -webkit-* syntactic features forever? Given the
> recent renewed interest in the CSS WG to unprefix certain features (with
> the recommendation that prefixed features be removed at time of
> unprefixing), how will WK accommodate this recommendation going forward?

That depends on how many pages we break by removing the support. If it only
breaks one website in the world, that might be okay as long as it's not a
popular website. On the other hand, if it breaks, say, 1% of the Web, then
we may not wan to remove the features likes this that requires a minimal
effort to keep the support.

In any case, I will further investigate the possible issue of -webkit-auto
> not behaving as start. Also, I would think that, if this possible
> difference is eliminated, then we should be able to at least remove the use
> of -webkit-auto in html.css, etc.

If we can align the behavior of -webkit-auto to start, then we can get rid
of RenderStyle. It can live solely as an alias to start. That might work
well because the usage of -webkit-auto is fairly small, and the behavior
difference between start and -webkit-auto show up only in some edge cases.

- Ryosuke