[webkit-dev] Adding <main> element to WebCore

James Craig jcraig at apple.com
Fri Nov 30 00:42:59 PST 2012

On Nov 29, 2012, at 7:19 PM, Alex Russell <slightlyoff at google.com> wrote:

> My object is somewhat different. I think it's useful for the readability use-case (and the other proposed "solutions" are mostly bad jokes), but it doesn't strike me that this give you much default UI and doesn't plumb through any new low-level capability.
>
> In that vein, I wonder why it's not being proposed as an ARIA role instead?

'main' is already one of the subclass roles of landmark[1], many of which have have direct 1:1 default role mappings to new HTML5 elements (e.g. nav[role=navigation], footer[role=contentinfo]) and the proposal is, in part, to have an element on which to hang the default semantics of the 'main' landmark role. The accessibility role default is one important argument, but there were several others raised in favor of the element, including the semantic clarity or heuristic ease for readability/reader that you mentioned, as well as CSS hooks, script hooks, and other organizational benefit for content authors.

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/complete#landmark