[webkit-dev] Fwd: Adding <main> element to WebCore

Michael[tm] Smith mike at w3.org
Thu Nov 29 22:53:28 PST 2012

Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org>, 2012-11-27 20:39 -0800:

> I'm stunned that people are arguing this on webkit-dev.
>
> Just FYI, Mozillians with whom I have spoken generally agree that <main>
> does not meet the high bar required to add a new element to HTML.
>
> Shopping a patch to implementors, to get something into a standard spec by
> asserting de-facto status based on the patch(es) landing, is bad form.
>
> Back to the whatwg list!

I know you've since qualified a bit some of what you said in this earlier
message, and it's probably also bad form for me to repeat something I just
said in another message in this thread, but for the record I want to note
that I think part of the context for Steve having taken time to write up
his patch and bring the discussion here is an earlier discussion he had
with Hixie, in which Hixie said:

"as far as <main> goes, despite it being a bad idea, there does seem to be
some support for it amongst implementors.  So your best move, if you think
it's a good idea, would be to convince them to implement it. That would be
new data which would almost immediately cause the spec to have it added,
regardless of how good an idea it is."

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Nov/0041.html