[webkit-dev] Feature announcement: HTMLTemplateElement

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Thu Nov 29 21:55:58 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn at skynav.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn at skynav.com> wrote:

>>> How much support? Have they implemented? Deployed? What test suites are
>>> available? What is the W3C plan for adopting this feature in the official
>>> W3C HTML5.* spec track?
>>
>> We don’t typically require test suites to be available prior to
>> implementing it in WebKit or it be in the official HTML5 specification.
>
> I didnt' suggest it was. However, if test suites are not available, then I
> would wonder about the maturity and or consensus status within the W3C
> arena. I ask because I'm curious about the maturity/stability of this
> feature. I also find it useful to apply a degree of caution to features that
> are coming from WHATWG if there is no counter-commitment to move those
> features forward in the official W3C REC track.

Our intention is to move these this spec through the W3C REC process
and update the implementation as the spec evolves.  As Maciej says,
there has already been a good deal of discussion about this spec in
the WebApps working group.  It's not clear to me whether it's more
appropriate for the WebApps working group (where much if the other web
components work is taking place) or the HTML working group (where HTML
parsing is defined).  I'm sure that's something we'll need to discuss
with the chairs and the W3C team at the appropriate time.

Adam