[webkit-dev] RenderArena: Teaching an old dog new tricks

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu Nov 15 14:59:32 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Chris Evans <cevans at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 14, 2012, at 3:19 PM, Chris Evans <cevans at chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> A first step might be to make it a platform define. For the Chromium
>> platform we'd leave the define "on" -- there are some nice security
>> properties we get from having the RenderObjects in their own spot. I'm
>> happy to go in to more details if you want, but it's similar (although not
>> identical) to the blog post linked by Brendan regarding Firefox.
>>
>> Not all WebKit consumers need weight things the same way as the Chromium
>> port of course, but at least for us, the security win outweighs any quirks
>> of RenderArena.
>>

>> r-
>>
>> Don't do this.
>>

> Ok, no platform define for RenderArena. There's also an implicit r- on
> removing the thing, though, as we'd regress security(!!) and performance.
> Seems we're stuck with the thing.

While I don’t want to further agitate the issue or go off on a tangent, and
agree that we must address the security aspect before getting rid of
RenderArena, only WebKit reviewers can r- patches written by other
contributors. You’re not even supposed to set r- on your own patches. See
http://www.webkit.org/coding/commit-review-policy.html

- R. Niwa