[webkit-dev] RenderArena: Teaching an old dog new tricks

Cris Neckar cdn at chromium.org
Wed Nov 14 22:14:12 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 14, 2012 8:59 PM, "Ryosuke Niwa" <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

>> arena like allocator could have helped at Google. One proposed solution was
>> to allocate all the JS typed buffers in an arena.

>> allocate ArrayBuffer in an arena than to allocate all DOM objects in one.
>> >

>> > I don’t think allocating all JS objects in an arena is good enough
>> because attackers can inject nearly arbitrary sequence of bytes into DOM
>> objects (e.g. text node).
>>
>> The text for a text node is stored in a String, not in the Node object
>> itself.
>>
> Yeah, I guess text node was not a good example. Now that I think about it,
> we can probably get most of security benefits of using RenderArena for DOM
> if we can allocate all strings & js objects from arena.
>
> - R. Niwa.

You still have every other object type available to find useful overlapping
attributes. At best taking away JS objects is an annoyance and will
probably never make something impossible to exploit. On the other hand
DOMobjects in their own size class you would likely have many situations
where exploitation is actually not possible. I would much prefer that we
find a way to accomplish this with specific dangerous types rather than
just take away objects that make exploitation trivial.