[webkit-dev] sharing more test references

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Tue Nov 13 17:13:53 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't the fact that there are a large set of tests with the same result be an argument *for* doing the iframe thing?
>
> The simple hand-coded green square in upper left corner should be simple, perhaps even simpler than the iframe thing.
>

>> What is the advantage to having 50 copies of a hand-coded "green square in upper left corner" reference test?
>
> Tests standing alone and being independent, easy to move around, revise, and understand individually rather than as part of a suite.

Got it.

It seems like referencing a well-known result makes things easier to
understand, not harder, once you see it at least once, but I imagine
it certainly depends on the complexity of the result. E.g., "PASSED"
is better than "<iframe
src='path-to-test-containing-the-word-passed'>". Past about four lines
it seems like the iframe would win.

> I don’t have a strong objection to your iframe technique, but I’d start simpler and do it only if it’s really needed.

I will also note that there are a large number of tests where we seem
to have duplicate results, e.g., dom/html/level1 and dom/xhtml/level1
where the results are basically the same between the two suites, and
having the xhtml results just be iframe'd versions of the html one
seems like it would make sense.