[webkit-dev] generic test expectations?

Tony Chang tony at chromium.org
Tue Nov 13 12:02:20 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Glenn Adams <glenn at skynav.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> We don't currently support port-specific reftests (or at least, not
> >> very well), and we certainly should be trying to minimize where they
> >> occur.
> >

> > Hmm, I actually used port specific reftest expectation files in a recent
> > patch [1] (since rolled out), and it appeared to work (as a way to
> > effectively rebaseline those expectations). So something seems to be
> > working.
> >
> > [1] http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/133529
> >

> I expect it'll sort of work, but it won't be robust; you may hit weird
> behavior and/or bugs. We really haven't beaten on this aspect of
> things, and I don't know yet how much we want to.

I don't think we should support port specific ref test results.  That kind
of misses the point of using a ref test in the first place.  I mean, you
may as well check in port specific pixel results which are easier to review
for correctness.

It may be the case that a ref test is not appropriate for what you're
trying to test.