[webkit-dev] Instrumenting JavaScriptCore

Mark Lam mark.lam at apple.com
Mon Nov 12 20:23:12 PST 2012

Erick,

If your instrumentation is not performance critical, you might be interested in using the llint C++ backend.  To use that:

1. in WTF/wtf/Platform.h (or equivalent), #define ENABLE_JIT 0, and #define ENABLE_LLINT 1.  This will allow you to build for the C++ llint which generates C++ code.

2. Look at Source/JavaScriptCore/llint/LowLevelInterpreter.cpp.  In there, you'll fine macros that implements interpreter labels including one for each bytecode opcode.  You can modify that for your experiments.

3. Look in Source/JavaScriptCore/offlineasm/instructions.rb for the cloopDo instruction.  You can add this instruction to the llint asm code to insert instrumentation to your liking. e.g.

    cloopDo // printf("I just added a printf\n");

    This embeds the code after the // in the generated llint interpreter (see the generated LLIntAssembly.h).

Hope that helps.  And yes, the old interpreter is no longer available.

Regards,
Mark